Wednesday, January 14, 2009

How this all got started

I borrowed this from my personal Blog:

Originally published on November 15, 2007


Did I ever tell you why I started making candles? If YES, then skip to next paragraph. I once knew a lady who purchased hand poured candles in south Texas. They were divine. He had this wonderful scent that I have never been able to find anywhere else. I adored it. She quit going to south Texas. I needed my fix. I have always been crafty, always felt the need to make something tangible. I have always wanted to have a side business that I could retire with, pay for the kids school, take vacations, pass on to my kids. Well the two seemed to fit. I thought "how hard could it be to make a candle?" So the adventure started.

I read and read and read some more. I had the idea down. I found a supplier in Dallas. I was ready to go. I bought everything I needed. I made some candles. I gave them for Christmas gifts to the ladies I work with. THEY WERE HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!! They smelled great, but they did not burn well and they leaked out of the cute Christmas tins I used as a container.



So skip to 4 years later, I am now ready to start marketing my product. I have my database for inventory, sales, expenses and costs all set up. I have my line completely developed. I have my show set up all worked out. I am off. Watch out world, here I come.

I was considering going the wholesale route. But I am hard pressed to give my candles away, and that is what wholesale prices feel like. I think I will do craft shows and home parties for awhile. Get my confidence up. I know my product, I am proud of my product, but I am not a sales person. Come on I am in IT, we are not people people. I have a friend who is all about the sale and all about marketing. She is going to help me (I am bribing her with lunches!). I have my website all set up minus GOOD pictures. A photographer I am not. I am going to work on the pics after the holidays. It is my goal. Here is my website, but please just know I needed something up. It will get better, it must get better, it HAS to get better. http://www.glodowg.com



I am kicking off my sales to the outside world with an open house this Saturday. I am sick to my stomache I am so nervous. I have sent out emails, flyers and put a notice in my HOA newsletter. I have invited everyone I know. This will be the first time that I show my candles to anyone other than friends and family. I feel like I am debuting my baby. I hate criticism, I am worried someone won't like my candles. They are not factory made, thus not perfect. I actually like the imperfections in them as they personify the HANDMADE part of the candle.

On Saturday, please say a little prayer that I won't hyper ventilate and that people will show up and buy a few candles.

Whew, I feel better just getting it all out!


0 comments: