Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Bad Candlemaker

I have an order to fill. It is for 6 mulberry votives and 1 small container. I hate filling custom orders. Isn't that horrible. It is so much time to get set up and everything melted. I so much prefer making a mountain of candles. But invariably people want the one thing that I don't have poured. I also hate making votives. They are so much work for such a small product. But this customer buys quite a bit and spreads the word a lot. I just can't get motivated to pour those darn little turds. I am a bad candlemaker :(

Several years ago, I attempted to keep 1 candle of each size and scent in stock. I think I might try that again. Usually if someone wants something specific that I don't have I guide them towards a new size or a similar scent. hmmmmmm something to ponder. It does require a bit of overhead, but hey, this is retail so I am gonna have to give it up and do it!

It is so hard to build my business around what "I" want it to be and not around what other people think it should be. People are all the time telling me that I should make x candle becase Y company does. I do not want to be known as the copycat candle lady. I do however, listen to what they are saying and choose my new scents based on the type that are popular today.


These are my containers. I don't like them personally, but they sell well for me and give my products a unique look that goes well in most TEXAS homes. I do however, love my pillars. I made this one for my little sister. Last time I heard she still has not burned it. I definitely need to work on my photography skills!


My goal for this year is to find ONE true wholesale client, keep my better track of my inventory and increase my retail sales. To accomplish these goals I need to dedicate some time to my business. I have no idea when I will carve out this time, but I am going to work on it. I will dedicate 4 hours per week to working on some aspect of my candle business. Otherwise, I need to start calling it a hobby!

Wish me luck!

0 comments: